The Town of the Blue Mountains was formed in 1998 with the amalgamation of the Township of Collingwood and the Town of Thornbury. Communities in the municipality include Thornbury, Banks, Camperdown, Castle Glen Estates, Christie Beach, Clarksburg, Craigleith, Duncan, Gibraltar, Heathcote, Hurlburt, Kolapore, Little Germany, Loree, Ravenna, Redwing, Slabtown, and Victoria Corners.
Kolapore was originally called Paradise, before being renamed after a State in India, possibly by the first postmaster George Wilson. It began as a lumbering community in the 1860s. The first settlers were Milo Parks in 1856 and Peter Stoutenburg in 1860. Flynn, Jean, ed. The End of an Era. Thornbury, Ont.: Town of the Blue Mountains, 1999.
Stan Stoutenburg, Arthur Stoutenburg and Silas McArthur on the ground. Mel McGowan is on the load tightening the chain with a binding pole. This is Mel's truck and he is hauling logs for Charlie Collins at Kolapore.
The Alex Rutledge saw mill situated in Lot 9 Concession 6. Alex is sitting on the stump at centre. He is on the left, not wearing a hat.
Charlie Collins at the back of the load of logs on a wagon drawn by a team of horses. Fred Cully standing on the tongue. Taken at Charlie's mill at the dam, west of the school.
Kolapore deer hunters on the farm of Matthew Hamilton circa 1896.
Modern photograph of original school house with addition added on at some point. The roof is modern; stove pipe in evidence. Framing of school bell on top of roof remains,
Peter Stoutenburg owned a saw mill on lot 5 concession 8. He built the wooden tower, which fell down in 1919, south and west of his house. See page 56 of Kolapore Remembered (Bill Milne and Alvin Wilson) for a photo of tower.
Twelve men before 13 deer and 2 dogs. Back row: Sandy Sanderson, Harry Porteus, Ed Fryer, Jack Royal, Fred Smith, William Bannerman. Front: Harold Freethy, Henry McAteer, John McAteer, Stewart Gardiner, Frank Dobson, Bill McAteer. This photograph was taken at Cooper's lumber yard and mill.
William Fee, Albert Jackson, W. Anderson and daughter, Archie Bell, beside wagon William Betts, owner of horse and wagon Jack Stoutenburg, boy on wagon Ross White, behing wagon Harriet White, Mabel Johnston, Ethel Johnston, behind Ethel is Muriel White, on Ethel's left is Rhoda Johnston, the little boy is Leslie White and on his left is Sophia Johnston, standing with arms folded is Joe Stoutenburg, sitting on post is Sanford Lougheed, on sawdust wagon with team is J. Harvery, in white shirt is John Johnston and on his left are Ivo Stoutenburg and Haz Ward, sitting in front of piles of hoops is Cliff Long. There are also three horses.
From left to right. Back row: Teacher Mary Conn, Harold McFee, Calvin Parks. Middle row: Sadie Sammons, Florence McNichol, Lloyd Rear, Audrey Cole, Maxine Hutchison, Doris Wilson, Ina Lanktree, Jean McAfee, Marjorie Wilson. Front: Melville Parks, Paul Cole, Harold Huthison, Glen Cole, Frank Dobson, Keith Cole, Mansell Parks.
Peter Stoutenburg, Tom White and Wilfred Wilson at Tom White's farm. A team of horses hauling logs a mill on winter sled.
The Johnston and White Sawmill was on Lot 5, Concession 8, on the east side of Grey Road 2, just south of the Kolapore Church near the current Hunt Club.
Burton Carefoot is standing on the wagon by the mill on the left. He was 10-years-old and earned $8 a month helping out.
Fourteen workmen pose in front of a stonecrusher on Sideroad 19 and Grey Road 2. The stonecrusher was on wheels and was powered by steam engine.
Girls Bertha Short and Agnes Collins beside the flume from dam at Kolapore dam.
Truck used to haul lumber from Kolapore sawmills to the lumberyard in Collingwood.
The wedding portrait of Lorne Robinson and Mary Collins.
Mrs. Robert Walters in her Sunday best dress with her son Eldred (Bud).
Wedding portrait of John and Emma Fee (nee Wilson). Emma was the oldest of nine children, born in 1889 or 1890. She was the sister of Wilfred Wilson.
Jim Rear with his team of horses and cultivator on his farm at lot 9 concession 8. The farm is currently (2015) owned by Alex Wilson.
Clara Short, Agnes Collins and her sons Gordon and Aubrey at the flume. The flume stretched from the Kolapore dam to the sawmill owned by Charlie Collins.
Mrs. Levi Dobson with well-drilling equipment in front of her house. The truck has pulleys and a large boom.
Charlie Collinsand hired man Fred Cully at Charlie's mill. Charlie's sons Gordon and Aubrey sit on huge logs.
Jim Harmer, with his wife Pansy (nee Knoll) and their son Ted in front of their house.
David Galbraith (son of James), J.J. Buchanan, James Galbraith (left to right). James Galbraith bought this bush lot from J.J. Buchanan (grandfather of Rev. Robert Buchanan).
Bill Mitchell, Harold Hutchison (on tractor), Earl Huthison, Jim Rear, Lloyd Rear (left to right).
Winter scene of sisters Grace and Ruth Hewgill tobogganing. Grace and Ruth are the daughters of Earl. Both girls taught school at Kolapore.
Group of people at the Johnston & White Mill at Kolapore.
Team of grey horses with winter sleigh driven by Levi Dobson near his house on Bear Hill.
An overview from high up looking down at the Johnston and White Sawmill. Built by Peter Stoutenburg in the 1880s, it was sold to Johnston & White in 1891. As well as sawing logs, they manufactured barrel hoops and staves. The partners were John and William Johnston, and Thomas and James White. The Johnston and White families lived in adjacent houses, which can been seen in the background atop Bear Hill.
Charlie Collins to the left and Fred Curly on the right. Collins with his sons; Gordon and Aubrey. This picture was taken at Collin's Mill at the Kolapore Dam.