Methods of transportation, shipping.
Stan Stoutenburg, Arthur Stoutenburg and Silas McArthur on the ground. Mel McGowan is on the load tightening the chain with a binding pole. This is Mel's truck and he is hauling logs for Charlie Collins at Kolapore.
Charlie Collins at the back of the load of logs on a wagon drawn by a team of horses. Fred Cully standing on the tongue. Taken at Charlie's mill at the dam, west of the school.
Truck used to haul lumber from Kolapore sawmills to the lumberyard in Collingwood.
Truck hauling lumber from the McKean Mill to the Massey Harris Company.
The McKean family was involved in several sawmills, including a mill built in Kolapore in the 1870s by Archibald McKean. Son Albert McKean set up a mill on the Eighth Line, and another mill on the north part of Lot 7, Concession 7.
Andrew McKean (son of Archibald McKean) built a sawmill on Lot 4, Concession 7 prior to 1895, which had burned. He built a second one on the same location, which included a chopping mill. The second mill was in operation until the early 1920s until it had a fire as well. (An Illustrated History of the Township of Collingwood, pg. 179)
Richard Hallam, Lois Plummer's grandfather, worked for local farmers and lumber mills in the Beaver Valley area from the late 1800s to the 1920s. Here he is posing with his two horses who were used to pull heavy materials and as transportation.
Located in the Craigleith Provincial Park is the plaque, The Sinking of The "Mary Ward." Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, this plaque states: "on the night of November 24, 1872, the steamer, "Mary Ward," ran aground on MIlligan's Reef, two kilometres offshore. Recently purchased by five Owen Sound men, the vessel was making the trip from Sarnia to her new home port of Collingwood with twenty-seven aboard, including a Canadian Pacific Railway survey party, when the accident occurred. The first lifeboat safely reached shore, then a fierce gale sprang up, delaying rescue operations. After a perilous journey, the second lifeboat succeeded in landing but the third capsized and all eight aboard drowned. A group of local fisherman, led by Frank Moberly and Captain George Collins, later rescued those remaining on the wreck and they were subsequently recognized by the Canadian government for their heroic actions."
Mrs. Helen Speck Gibson, visiting the Craigleith Heritage Depot, August 13th 2016 to relive her birth place. Mrs. Gibson was born in the Craigleith Station February 23, 1922. Her father, Alan Speck was the station master. Here is her interview, accompanied by her son Douglas Gibson. Interviewer is Robert Buchanan.
Skiers getting off the ski train at Craigleith Depot Station, winter, black and white photo
Photograph of a train coming into the Depot Station. Two men waiting outside the train station waiting for the train to stop. The train is coming from Collingwood station.
Photograph of a large group of skiers coming off the ski train, at Craigleith Depot Station.
Photograph of skiers sitting on a horse drawn sled at Blue Mountains
Photograph of people skiing and taking a horse drawn sled up to Blue mountain, possible Grey rd 19.
Photograph of skiers getting off the ski train at Craigleith Depot Station
Photograph of skiers buying tickets at Tow tickets and ski school tickets at Blue Mountain.
Photograph of a bus either picking up or dropping off at either Blue Mountain or Craigleith Depot Station.
Photograph of a bus either picking up or dropping off at Depot Station.
Photograph of two skiers in a parking lot at Blue Mountain.
5 x 7 photograph of a T & NR train. It is computer print of the photograph.
Photograph of the Go train stopped at the Depot, Journey to History. Photograph taken in June of 1974.
5 x 7 photograph of the Mary Ward. The entirety of the ship is visible