A collection of historical photographs, scanned from the personal collections of members of the community.
Left to right: Viola James (McArthur) mother of Jesse, Wesley James, Albert James (uncle to Jesse), Jesse James.
VIEW FULL RECORD
This photograph features the Jame's family barn i redwing and was built in 1937-1938. The car in the foreground is a 1949 Chrysler.
Stan Stoutenburg, Arthur Stoutenburg and Silas McArthur on the ground. Mel McGowan is on the load tightening the chain with a binding pole. This is Mel's truck and he is hauling logs for Charlie Collins at Kolapore.
The Alex Rutledge saw mill situated in Lot 9 Concession 6. Alex is sitting on the stump at centre. He is on the left, not wearing a hat.
Charlie Collins at the back of the load of logs on a wagon drawn by a team of horses. Fred Cully standing on the tongue. Taken at Charlie's mill at the dam, west of the school.
Kolapore deer hunters on the farm of Matthew Hamilton circa 1896.
Modern photograph of original school house with addition added on at some point. The roof is modern; stove pipe in evidence. Framing of school bell on top of roof remains,
Peter Stoutenburg owned a saw mill on lot 5 concession 8. He built the wooden tower, which fell down in 1919, south and west of his house. See page 56 of Kolapore Remembered (Bill Milne and Alvin Wilson) for a photo of tower.
Twelve men before 13 deer and 2 dogs. Back row: Sandy Sanderson, Harry Porteus, Ed Fryer, Jack Royal, Fred Smith, William Bannerman. Front: Harold Freethy, Henry McAteer, John McAteer, Stewart Gardiner, Frank Dobson, Bill McAteer. This photograph was taken at Cooper's lumber yard and mill.
Dillon Brothers Construction building the Thornbury Continuation School at the corner of Elma St. South and Alfred St. West, where Beaver Valley Community Centre is now.
The Thornbury Continuation School included grades 1 to 12.
William Fee, Albert Jackson, W. Anderson and daughter, Archie Bell, beside wagon William Betts, owner of horse and wagon Jack Stoutenburg, boy on wagon Ross White, behing wagon Harriet White, Mabel Johnston, Ethel Johnston, behind Ethel is Muriel White, on Ethel's left is Rhoda Johnston, the little boy is Leslie White and on his left is Sophia Johnston, standing with arms folded is Joe Stoutenburg, sitting on post is Sanford Lougheed, on sawdust wagon with team is J. Harvery, in white shirt is John Johnston and on his left are Ivo Stoutenburg and Haz Ward, sitting in front of piles of hoops is Cliff Long. There are also three horses.
From left to right. Back row: Teacher Mary Conn, Harold McFee, Calvin Parks. Middle row: Sadie Sammons, Florence McNichol, Lloyd Rear, Audrey Cole, Maxine Hutchison, Doris Wilson, Ina Lanktree, Jean McAfee, Marjorie Wilson. Front: Melville Parks, Paul Cole, Harold Huthison, Glen Cole, Frank Dobson, Keith Cole, Mansell Parks.
Peter Stoutenburg, Tom White and Wilfred Wilson at Tom White's farm. A team of horses hauling logs a mill on winter sled.
The Johnston and White Sawmill was on Lot 5, Concession 8, on the east side of Grey Road 2, just south of the Kolapore Church near the current Hunt Club.
Burton Carefoot is standing on the wagon by the mill on the left. He was 10-years-old and earned $8 a month helping out.
Fourteen workmen pose in front of a stonecrusher on Sideroad 19 and Grey Road 2. The stonecrusher was on wheels and was powered by steam engine.
Girls Bertha Short and Agnes Collins beside the flume from dam at Kolapore dam.
Truck used to haul lumber from Kolapore sawmills to the lumberyard in Collingwood.
The wedding portrait of Lorne Robinson and Mary Collins.
Mrs. Robert Walters in her Sunday best dress with her son Eldred (Bud).
Wedding portrait of John and Emma Fee (nee Wilson). Emma was the oldest of nine children, born in 1889 or 1890. She was the sister of Wilfred Wilson.
Jim Rear with his team of horses and cultivator on his farm at lot 9 concession 8. The farm is currently (2015) owned by Alex Wilson.
Clara Short, Agnes Collins and her sons Gordon and Aubrey at the flume. The flume stretched from the Kolapore dam to the sawmill owned by Charlie Collins.
Mrs. Levi Dobson with well-drilling equipment in front of her house. The truck has pulleys and a large boom.
Charlie Collinsand hired man Fred Cully at Charlie's mill. Charlie's sons Gordon and Aubrey sit on huge logs.
Jim Harmer, with his wife Pansy (nee Knoll) and their son Ted in front of their house.
David Galbraith (son of James), J.J. Buchanan, James Galbraith (left to right). James Galbraith bought this bush lot from J.J. Buchanan (grandfather of Rev. Robert Buchanan).
Bill Mitchell, Harold Hutchison (on tractor), Earl Huthison, Jim Rear, Lloyd Rear (left to right).
Winter scene of sisters Grace and Ruth Hewgill tobogganing. Grace and Ruth are the daughters of Earl. Both girls taught school at Kolapore.
Group of people at the Johnston & White Mill at Kolapore.
Frank Dobson, on skiis, in front of Frank Wagg's home in Ravenna.
Team of grey horses with winter sleigh driven by Levi Dobson near his house on Bear Hill.
Truck hauling lumber from the McKean Mill to the Massey Harris Company.
YMA Baseball Club, Thornbury/Clarksburg
Top row left to right - Ned Moore (or E.A,), D.J. (Jim) Davidson, Vernon Hewson, Elmer Fiegehen, Harry Brown (high school teacher)
Middle row - Ross Lawrence, Dr. Francis Moore, Erle Dillon
Front row - Tom Mackey, W. Hard (Bill) Phipps, Bob Isaacs.
The Ravenna School is now a home. It is the last building on the east side of the road as you travel south.
Front Row left to right seated: Russell Gould, Frank Wagg, Silas Wagg, Bill Knuff, Charlie Knuff, Myrtle Magill,
Alex Rush, George Conn, Jack Conn, Maggie McKnight, Leila McKnight, Athol Hudson, Sadie Hudson, Ed McGill.
Second Row: Fred Latter, Cora Latter, Maggie Magill, Mabel Magill, Jim McGowan, Eva Gekill, Susie Falconer, Joc Latter, Ross Fleming, Roy Conn, Viola McKnight, Villa Latter, Roy Fleming, Herb Heighs, Florence Knuff.
Third Row: Bill Weir, Herb Latter, Mae Brownlee, Fanny Irwin, Annie Rusk, Annie Weir, Edna Heighs, Jessie Latter, Herb Conn, Bill Conn, Gertie Knuff, Minnie Knuff, Edith Weldrick (standing).
Fourth Row: Amie Ford, Mary Allcock, Bob Armstrong, Eva Conn, Martha Gekill, Herb Gould, Aggie Falkner, Annie Armstrong, Ed Falkner, Fred Theakston, Bill Poole, Hugh Magill, Jim Rusk.
Fifth Row: Lottie Carscadden, Maud McGill, Ida Gardiner, Bob Gardiner, Sara Walters, Bill McGill, Tom Armstrong,
Herb Stoughtenburg, Louie Allcock, Etta Carscadden, Harriett Gardiner, Maggie Black (teacher).
Mary Hallam (Lois Plummer's aunt), is the girl with the white collar, second row from the back in the centre. The older man may be John Gould from Ravenna. Mary possibly went to Duncan School?
Date: May 12, 1912. Back Row: Alfie Moscrop, Carl Devitt, Alva Shaw, Dawson Rolling, Eleanor Galloway, Earl Hewgill, Annie Spaul, George Lougheed, Edith Hempill. Third Row: Teacher Hazel Loucks, Harold Lougheed, Ida Rice, Earl Shaw, Evelyn Lougheed, Joe Moscrop, Pearl Fawcett, Edgar Green, Alma Shaw, Roy Lougheed. Second Row: Elsie Marritt, Mary Halma, Victor Marritt, Helen Gekill, Lena Croft, Robert McCluskey, Reita Marritt, Leslie Fiegehen, Ethel Gekill. Front Row: Aleda Fiegehen, Carl Rice, Orel Lougheed, Hector Goldsmith, Vera Shaw, Bertie Shaw, Mildred Dean, Carl Marritt, Enid Fiegehen. This photograph printed on page 89, in "The Little Schools of Grey," by Mildred Young Hubbert, published in 1982. This book is available at the Craigleith Heritage Depot.
The old forge in Ravenna is located at 495970 Grey Road 2, Ravenna. It is a Town of the Blue Mountains designated heritage property.
The Craigleith Community Centre, formerly a school, was built in 1862. From 1862 to 1968 this building served as school, though in 1893 it was destroyed by a fire and rebuilt (Garrad, 1990). From 1968 to now it has served as The Craigleith Community Centre.
This photograph is of the Benjamin Moore house, circa 1855. Lot 28, concession 12. Just north of Heathcote off of Grey Road 40.
Portrait of Kathleen Moore, Andrew Armstrong's wife. Kathleen was a mother of five children, four daughters and one son.
Photograph of the Collingwood Township Council in 1931.
From top left: Norman Kneff; Charleton Cardiner; W.I. Fields (Reeve); Emerson Brown (Reeve); Ross Bowen (Redwing); Dr. Frank Moore; F.R. McKnight (Board of Health); Bruce Hamilton (Township Clerk); Charles Pyei (Treasurer); J.B. Ferguson; William Weir (Road Superintendent).
Wedding portrait of Catherine and Gordon McKittrick and their wedding party. Location was 144 Bruce St in Thornbury, across from the Methodist Church.
Back row, from left: Vena Reach; Will Whately; Perce Devins; Maude Lyne; Mrs. Edward Lyne; John Whately; Mrs. Whately; Reverend A.N. St. John; Mrs. St. John; Mrs. Billie McKittrick; Bille McKittrick.
Second row, from left: Unknown; Mrs. John Thorne; Alice Whately; Mabel Hartman; Catherine & Gordon McKittrick; Hubert McKittrick; Mrs. John Hartman; Mr. Alex Goudy.
Seated front row, from left: Florence Gilson; Lulu Wilton; Ines Pedwell; Mrs. Will Whately; Jean Whately.
Charlie Collins to the left and Fred Curly on the right. Collins with his sons; Gordon and Aubrey. This picture was taken at Collin's Mill at the Kolapore Dam.
Richard Hallam, Lois Plummer's grandfather, worked for local farmers and lumber mills in the Beaver Valley area from the late 1800s to the 1920s. Here he is posing with his two horses who were used to pull heavy materials and as transportation.
Portrait of Mrs. Benjamin Moore (Hannah Rorke Moore), circa 1920s.
Photograph of a country home located on Grey Road 2 at 496487. Owned by Bill Wright family during the early 1900s and was later sold to the McNallys.
Photograph of Dykstra Family home in 1986. Fire number 496487 on Grey Road 2 outside of Thornbury.
The Craigleith Community Centre, located at 123 Lakeshore Road in Craigleith has been a long standing heritage building. The building was built in 1862 as a school and was Craigleith's first and only stone public building (Garrad, 1993). For a more detailed photo of the Centre please refer to the picture, "Craigleith Community Centre" ID: 67.
The Craigleith Provincial Park Campground store. Located at the entrance of the campground just off of Highway 26.
The Carmel Methodist Heritage Cemetery, located 2km from the village of Gilbraltor. Historically apart of the Collingwood Township, Gibraltor is currently apart of The Town of the Blue Mountains. The cemetery address is: 595251 4th Line, The Blue Mountains, N0H 2E0.
Banks United Church Heritage Cemetery located on the East side of the 4th line. The cemetery has been adopted by R.B. Waind. A second photo of the Banks Heritage Cemetery please search Banks United Church Cemetery, image ID: 87.
Banks United Cemetery is apart of the Townf of the Blue Mountins Heritage Cemeteries.
A second image titled, "Banks United Cemetery Adopted by R.B Waind" is also available. Please search title or image ID: 86.
The Ravenna Community Hall is located at 628299 on Grey Road 119, next to the intersection of Grey Road 119 and Grey Road 2. The long standing Community Hall is available to be rented for events and functions. It is located next to the Ravenna Park and is adjacent from the Ravenna General Store. Please see second photo titled: "Ravenna Community Hall, Side View," image ID: 89.
The Ravenna Community Hall is located at 628299 on Grey Road 119, next to the intersection of Grey Road 119 and Grey Road 2. The long standing Community Hall is avalable to be rented for events and functions. It is located next to the Ravenna Park and is adjacent from the Ravenna General Store. Please see first photo for front view, titled: "Ravenna Community Hall, Front View," image ID: 88.