Community Care includes the Blue Mountains history of healthcare, policing, firefighting, and education.
The Craigleith Community Centre, formerly a school, was built in 1862. From 1862 to 1968 this building served as school, though in 1893 it was destroyed by a fire and rebuilt (Garrad, 1990). From 1968 to now it has served as The Craigleith Community Centre.
Photograph of the Collingwood Township Council in 1931.
From top left: Norman Kneff; Charleton Cardiner; W.I. Fields (Reeve); Emerson Brown (Reeve); Ross Bowen (Redwing); Dr. Frank Moore; F.R. McKnight (Board of Health); Bruce Hamilton (Township Clerk); Charles Pyei (Treasurer); J.B. Ferguson; William Weir (Road Superintendent).
June Abbotts speaking about her experience becoming Miss Beaver Valley in 1946.
Located in the Craigleith Provincial Park is the plaque, The Sinking of The "Mary Ward." Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation. This plaque states: "on the night of November 24, 1872, the steamer, "Mary Ward" ran around on MIlligan's Reef, two kilometres offshore. Recently purchased by five Owen Sound men, the vessel was making the trip from Sarnia to her new home port of Collingwood with twenty-seven aboard, including a Canadian Pacific Railway survey party, when the accident occurred. The first lifeboat safely reached shore, then a fierce gale sprang up, delaying rescue operations. After a perilous journey, the second lifeboat succeeded in landing but the third capsized and all eight aboard drowned. A group of local fisherman, led by Frank Moberly and Captain George Collins, later rescued those remaining on the wreck and they were subsequently recognized by the Canadian government for their heroic actions."
The Craigleith Community Centre, located at 123 Lakeshore Road in Craigleith has been a long standing heritage building. The building was built in 1862 as a school and was Craigleith's first and only stone public building (Garrad, 1993). For a more detailed photo of the Centre please refer to the picture, "Craigleith Community Centre" ID: 67.
The Craigleith Provincial Park Campground store. Located at the entrance of the campground just off of Highway 26.
According to Ontario Parks, Craigleith Provincial Park opened in 1967 and covers 65.69 hectares. It is "located on the southern shore of Georgian Bay" and features "fractured plates of shale that form our shoreline" which "contain fossils that are 450 million years old." (ontarioparks.com/park/craigleith. June 17, 2018)
The Carmel Methodist Heritage Cemetery, located 2km from the village of Gilbraltor. Historically a part of the Collingwood Township, Gibraltor is currently a part of The Town of the Blue Mountains. The cemetery address is: 595251 4th Line, The Blue Mountains, N0H 2E0.
Located at 588135 on the 9th sideroad in Ravenna, this is the birthplace and home if David John McNichol, Collingwood Township's longest serving Reeve and one of Grey County's most succesful municipal politicians. Reeve McNichol was born September 20, 1918, one of 8 children. In 1947 David married his wife Hazel (Knox) and together they farmed the property and raised their family of 5 in this home.
McNichol was first elected to municipal Council in 1949, then elected Reeve in 1952, a position in which he served continously till his death in 1994. In 2003, this home was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act as a property of cultural heritage value by the Town of the Blue Mountains. He was a founding Director of both the Georgian Triangle Tourist Association and the Georgian Trail Board of Managament.
McNichol's children and grandchildren also grew up in Ravenna only neighbours away. The McNichol family developed a lumber yard and continue to preserve the heritage property.
The Presbyterian Heritage Cemetery located at 595190 on the 4th line, just south of Gibraltor.
This photo displays Banks United Church Heritage Cemetery which is located on the East side of the 4th Line. The cemetery has been adopted by R.B. Waind. A second photo of the Banks Heritage Cemetery is available, please search Banks United Church Cemetery or image ID: 87 to view it.
Banks United Cemetery is a part of the Town of the Blue Mountins Heritage Cemeteries.
A second image titled, "Banks United Cemetery Adopted by R.B Waind" is also available. Please search the title or image ID: 86.
The Ravenna Community Hall is located at 628299 on Grey Road 119, next to the intersection of Grey Road 119 and Grey Road 2. The long standing Community Hall is available to be rented for events and functions. It is located next to the Ravenna Park and is adjacent from the Ravenna General Store. Please see second photo titled: "Ravenna Community Hall, Side View," image ID: 89.
The Ravenna Community Hall is located at 628299 on Grey Road 119, next to the intersection of Grey Road 119 and Grey Road 2. The long standing Community Hall is avalable to be rented for events and functions. It is located next to the Ravenna Park and is adjacent from the Ravenna General Store. Please see first photo for front view, titled: "Ravenna Community Hall, Front View," image ID: 88.
Mrs. Helen Speck Gibson, visiting the Craigleith Heritage Depot, August 13th 2016 to relive her birth place. Mrs. Gibson was born in the Craigleith Station February 23, 1922. Her father, Alan Speck was the station master. Here is her interview, accompanied by her son Douglas Gibson. Interviewer is Robert Buchanan.
Shelagh Fox, renowned artist, ex-ski racer, and Thornbury local shares with us a defining moment in her ski racing racer and when her art became her career.
The granddaughter of two iconic athletes, Hugh Fox and Red Horner, Fox has always felt infused with passion, work ethic, and determination that has helped her in her pursuit of excellence. Her paternal grandfather Hugh Fox, was the quarterback for the Toronto Argonauts, played hockey for Team Canada, and is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Fox’s maternal grandfather, Red Horner (George Reginald Horner), played for the Toronto Maple Leafs from 1928 to 1940, was Captain from 1938-40, and held the most penalties in the NHL for 13 years in a row.
Robert Buchanan tells us about his great grandmother, Mary Buchanan (Mrs. Walter Buchanan). Farmer, poet and women's rights leader Mrs. Buchanan was a determined hard worker who shared her practices and creativity through her actions and writing. Mrs. Buchanan's book "Country Breeze from Breezy Brae" is available for seeing at the Craigleith Heritage Depot.
This newspaper article “Youth Survey to be Made” is about Major Willard Rorke and his extensive social work. The point of the survey was to better understand youth recreation and character building facilities in Calgary.