Located in the Craigleith Provincial Park is the plaque, The Sinking of The "Mary Ward." Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation. This plaque states: "on the night of November 24, 1872, the steamer, "Mary Ward" ran around on MIlligan's Reef, two kilometres offshore. Recently purchased by five Owen Sound men, the vessel was making the trip from Sarnia to her new home port of Collingwood with twenty-seven aboard, including a Canadian Pacific Railway survey party, when the accident occurred. The first lifeboat safely reached shore, then a fierce gale sprang up, delaying rescue operations. After a perilous journey, the second lifeboat succeeded in landing but the third capsized and all eight aboard drowned. A group of local fisherman, led by Frank Moberly and Captain George Collins, later rescued those remaining on the wreck and they were subsequently recognized by the Canadian government for their heroic actions."
This photograph shows a side view of the entire Mary Ward steamship in black and white.
Photograph of a Mary Ward Medal, it was awarded to Frank Moberly “In recognition of his humane and gallant exertions in the rescue of the crew and passengers of the propeller Mary Ward on 25th November 1872”
Photograph of a letter, addressed to one of the men who helped the victims of the Mary Ward wreck. It states that the rescuer would have been awarded $15. This letter is circa 1872.