The Craigleith Community Centre, formerly a school, was built in 1862. From 1862 to 1968 this building served as school, though in 1893 it was destroyed by a fire and rebuilt (Garrad, 1990). From 1968 to now it has served as The Craigleith Community Centre.
Photograph of the Collingwood Township Council in 1931.
From top left: Norman Kneff; Charleton Cardiner; W.I. Fields (Reeve); Emerson Brown (Reeve); Ross Bowen (Redwing); Dr. Frank Moore; F.R. McKnight (Board of Health); Bruce Hamilton (Township Clerk); Charles Pyei (Treasurer); J.B. Ferguson; William Weir (Road Superintendent).
Located in the Craigleith Provincial Park is the plaque, The Sinking of The "Mary Ward." Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, this plaque states: "on the night of November 24, 1872, the steamer, "Mary Ward," ran aground on MIlligan's Reef, two kilometres offshore. Recently purchased by five Owen Sound men, the vessel was making the trip from Sarnia to her new home port of Collingwood with twenty-seven aboard, including a Canadian Pacific Railway survey party, when the accident occurred. The first lifeboat safely reached shore, then a fierce gale sprang up, delaying rescue operations. After a perilous journey, the second lifeboat succeeded in landing but the third capsized and all eight aboard drowned. A group of local fisherman, led by Frank Moberly and Captain George Collins, later rescued those remaining on the wreck and they were subsequently recognized by the Canadian government for their heroic actions."
The Craigleith Community Centre, located at 123 Lakeshore Road in Craigleith has been a long standing heritage building. The building was built in 1862 as a school and was Craigleith's first and only stone public building (Garrad, 1993). For a more detailed photo of the Centre please refer to the picture, "Craigleith Community Centre" ID: 67.
The Craigleith Provincial Park Campground store. Located at the entrance of the campground just off of Highway 26.
The Carmel Methodist Heritage Cemetery, located 2km from the village of Gilbraltor. Historically apart of the Collingwood Township, Gibraltor is currently apart of The Town of the Blue Mountains. The cemetery address is: 595251 4th Line, The Blue Mountains, N0H 2E0.
Located at 588135 on the 9th sideroad in Ravenna, this is the birthplace and home if David John McNichol, Collingwood Township's longest serving Reeve and one of Grey County's most succesful municipal politicians. Reeve McNichol was born September 20, 1918, one of 8 children. In 1947 David married his wife Hazel (Knox) and together they farmed the property and raised their family of 5 in this home.
McNichol was first elected to municipal Council in 1949, then elected Reeve in 1952, a position in which he served continously till his death in 1994. In 2003, this home was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act as a property of cultural heritage value by the Town of the Blue Mountains. He was a founding Director of both the Georgian Triangle Tourist Association and the Georgian Trail Board of Managament.
McNichol's children and grandchildren also grew up in Ravenna only neighbours away. The McNichol family developed a lumber yard and continue to preserve the heritage property.
Banks United Church Heritage Cemetery located on the East side of the 4th line. The cemetery has been adopted by R.B. Waind. A second photo of the Banks Heritage Cemetery please search Banks United Church Cemetery, image ID: 87.
Banks United Cemetery is apart of the Townf of the Blue Mountins Heritage Cemeteries.
A second image titled, "Banks United Cemetery Adopted by R.B Waind" is also available. Please search title or image ID: 86.
The Ravenna Community Hall is located at 628299 on Grey Road 119, next to the intersection of Grey Road 119 and Grey Road 2. The long standing Community Hall is available to be rented for events and functions. It is located next to the Ravenna Park and is adjacent from the Ravenna General Store. Please see second photo titled: "Ravenna Community Hall, Side View," image ID: 89.
The Ravenna Community Hall is located at 628299 on Grey Road 119, next to the intersection of Grey Road 119 and Grey Road 2. The long standing Community Hall is avalable to be rented for events and functions. It is located next to the Ravenna Park and is adjacent from the Ravenna General Store. Please see first photo for front view, titled: "Ravenna Community Hall, Front View," image ID: 88.
Mrs. Helen Speck Gibson, visiting the Craigleith Heritage Depot, August 13th 2016 to relive her birth place. Mrs. Gibson was born in the Craigleith Station February 23, 1922. Her father, Alan Speck was the station master. Here is her interview, accompanied by her son Douglas Gibson. Interviewer is Robert Buchanan.