Text  
Then & Now - The Blule Mountains
Town of Blue Mountains History Project
Collections Subjects Communities

Browse by Community

Subjects

Boats/Boating

The Sinking of The

The Sinking of The "Mary Ward"

Located in the Craigleith Provincial Park is the plaque, The Sinking of The "Mary Ward." Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation, this plaque states: "on the night of November 24, 1872, the steamer, "Mary Ward," ran aground on MIlligan's Reef, two kilometres offshore. Recently purchased by five Owen Sound men, the vessel was making the trip from Sarnia to her new home port of Collingwood with twenty-seven aboard, including a Canadian Pacific Railway survey party, when the accident occurred. The first lifeboat safely reached shore, then a fierce gale sprang up, delaying rescue operations. After a perilous journey, the second lifeboat succeeded in landing but the third capsized and all eight aboard drowned. A group of local fisherman, led by Frank Moberly and Captain George Collins, later rescued those remaining on the wreck and they were subsequently recognized by the Canadian government for their heroic actions."

 


VIEW FULL RECORD


Collingwood Shipyards

Collingwood Shipyards

This photograph shows the Collingwood Shipyards in the winter of 1975.


VIEW FULL RECORD


Collingwood Shipyards

Collingwood Shipyards

This photograph shows the Collingwood Shipyards in the winter of 1975.


VIEW FULL RECORD


Collingwood Shipyards

Collingwood Shipyards

This photograph shows the Collingwood Shipyards in the winter of 1975.


VIEW FULL RECORD


Collingwood Shipyards

Collingwood Shipyards

This photograph shows the Collingwood Shipyards in the winter of 1975.


VIEW FULL RECORD


Collingwood Shipyards

Collingwood Shipyards

This photograph shows the Collingwood Shipyards in the winter of 1975.


VIEW FULL RECORD


Collingwood Shipyards

Collingwood Shipyards

This photograph shows the Collingwood Shipyards in the winter of 1975.


VIEW FULL RECORD