Stan Stoutenburg, Arthur Stoutenburg and Silas McArthur standing on the ground. Mel McGowan is on the load tightening the chain with a binding pole. This is Mel's truck and he is hauling logs for Charlie Collins at Kolapore.
The Alex Rutledge Sawmill situated in Lot 9 Concession 6. Alex is sitting on the stump at centre. He is on the left, not wearing a hat.
Charlie Collins is show in this picture at the back of the load of logs on a wagon drawn by a team of horses. Fred Cully is standing on the tongue. This photo was taken at Charlie's mill at the dam, west of the school.
The Johnston and White Sawmill was on Lot 5, Concession 8, on the east side of Grey Road 2, just south of the Kolapore Church near the current Hunt Club.
Burton Carefoot is standing on the wagon by the mill on the left. He was 10-years-old and earned $8 a month for helping out arond the mill.
Truck used to haul lumber from Kolapore sawmills to the lumberyard in Collingwood.
Charlie Collins and hired man Fred Cully at Charlie's mill. Charlie's sons Gordon and Aubrey sit on huge logs.
David Galbraith (son of James), J.J. Buchanan, James Galbraith (left to right). James Galbraith bought this bush lot from J.J. Buchanan (grandfather of Rev. Robert Buchanan).
Group of people at the Johnston & White Mill at Kolapore.
This is a photo of a truck hauling lumber from the McKean Mill to the Massey Harris Company. It was suggested that this was an REO truck. REO Motor Company was established by Ransom. E. Olds in 1905, Michigan. Ransom E. Olds further went on to be the founder of Olds Motor Company, makers of the Oldsmobile (later to became a part of General Motors). It was possible to have a touring body placed on the back of the truck so entire families could go on outings together. We cannot comment on the comfort of riding in the back considering it had solid rubber tires!
The McKean family was involved in several sawmills, including a mill built in Kolapore in the 1870s by Archibald McKean. Son Albert McKean set up a mill on the Eighth Line, and another mill on the north part of Lot 7, Concession 7.
Andrew McKean (son of Archibald McKean) built a sawmill on Lot 4, Concession 7 prior to 1895, which had burned. He built a second one on the same location, which included a chopping mill. The second mill was in operation until the early 1920s until it had a fire as well. (An Illustrated History of the Township of Collingwood, pg. 179)
Charlie Collins to the left and Fred Curly on the right. Collins with his sons; Gordon and Aubrey. This picture was taken at Collin's Mill at the Kolapore Dam.
Richard Hallam, Lois Plummer's grandfather, worked for local farmers and lumber mills in the Beaver Valley area from the late 1800s to the 1920s. Here he is posing with his two horses who were used to pull heavy materials and as transportation.
Located at 588135 on the 9th sideroad in Ravenna, this is the birthplace and home if David John McNichol, Collingwood Township's longest serving Reeve and one of Grey County's most succesful municipal politicians. Reeve McNichol was born September 20, 1918, one of 8 children. In 1947 David married his wife Hazel (Knox) and together they farmed the property and raised their family of 5 in this home.
McNichol was first elected to municipal Council in 1949, then elected Reeve in 1952, a position in which he served continously till his death in 1994. In 2003, this home was designated under the Ontario Heritage Act as a property of cultural heritage value by the Town of the Blue Mountains. He was a founding Director of both the Georgian Triangle Tourist Association and the Georgian Trail Board of Managament.
McNichol's children and grandchildren also grew up in Ravenna only neighbours away. The McNichol family developed a lumber yard and continue to preserve the heritage property.